Monday, January 12, 2015

Happy New Year 2015!

I'm sure this new year will have its ups and downs, as things cannot always be perfect, but I'm very grateful it has started on an up!

Iowa Spring Day baby quilt is finished! I quilted it w/organic wavy lines and I hand-sewed the binding, which is something I haven't done in a long while!
39.75" x 47.5"

Iowa Spring Day Backing
However, I will be hand binding more often...to justify a friend making me this custom hand sewing caddy.  I had seen something similar on Instagram, showed him a pic and this is what I got! Isn't it fantastic?!

Before starting the project I got a tour of his shop. With so many species of trees in the world (some estimate 20,000+) it's no wonder I'd never heard of the majority of wood types in his "stash".  Yes, woodworkers have stashes too!

 Of course, one of my favorites was the Quilted Maple (see pic below) however, the three types of wood used in this little project were much more exotic!  The base is Sirari  (grows in Tropical South America, primarily Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay); the sides, needle holder, and extra spool/scissors block are made of Leopardwood (grows in South America, Chile, Brazil); and the stoppers on the spool turn are made of Bubinga (grows in Cameroon and Gabon, West Africa).

Watching and helping (yes, I helped a little!) a professional woodworker in action and working w/this gorgeous wood was quite fascinating! It's definitely deepened my appreciation and love of trees! Thank you David! =)




The Quilted Maple I was telling you about.
With Iowa Spring Day finished I really ought to just be quilting Walk Like An Egyptian, but I've been moonlighting w/Through Thick and Thin.  Through Thick and Thin is a log cabin quilt I'm working on for my king size bed.  I'm constructing it w/2 different size logs, 2.5" and 1.25" and am using batik fabrics.  There will be 42 - 15" blocks.  I wanted to do an offset Barn Raising layout, but I'm not sure if it'll work w/so few blocks. Time will tell.  
Several blocks in Fields & Furrows layout
Piles of strings for Log Cabin
And lastly, I've got to make myself start quilting Walk Like An Egyptian this week! I've been putting it off because I'm not sure how to start the spiral quilting I want to do and am afraid to mess it up. If anyone has tips/tricks on how to get started on spiral quilting, please pass 'em my way.

Until next time, Happy Quilting and God Bless!

A Thread for Life
Am I getting nobler, better, more helpful, more humble, as I get older? Am I exhibiting the life that men take knowledge of as having been with Jesus, or am I getting more self-assertive, more deliberately determined to have my own way? It is a great thing to tell yourself the truth. -Oswald Chambers

Linking up at:
Tuesday Archives
Scraptastic Tuesday
Let's Bee Social
WIP Wednesday
Needle and Thread Thursday
TGIFF!

21 comments:

  1. I love that caddy! Such an interesting idea. The picture of the quilted maple reminds me of silk. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a helpful little aid! I agree, the quilted maple does look like silk! I tried to reply via email, like I usually do, but you are a no-reply blogger. Just wanted to say thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Your finish is beautiful! I love your new caddy. Those woods are just incredibly beautiful. What a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to see the joy exude from you with each project you do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Remind me to make you a no-reply blogger the next time I'm over.

      Delete
  4. I love the sewing caddy! That is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute baby quilt and your friend has done a fabulous job! Thanks for the link up to to #scraptastictuesday !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what Kelly said. Your projects are beautiful, and you have a good friend! >> I am very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt, the colors look great together.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zenia, Iowa Spring Day turned out great!
    Love the caddy that your friend David made for you!
    Also - I like the way you name your quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Zenia, I love your quilt and the waving lines you used in quilting it. Sew pretty! When I read your profile I thought, "Wow, I have a lot in common with this young lady". A lot, other than age, LOL. I am your newest follower and I would love to invite you over to visit my blog. I am celebrating my three year blogging birthday with a Give-A-Way and would be honored to have you join the fun.
    Your newest blogging sister,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Zenia
    I spotted your log cabin quilt on WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and had to come investigate as I'd just posted a picture there of the log cabin quilt top I'm making. I really like the vibrant colours you've used. I'm hoping to quilt curved lines over my log cabin but don't know where to start either!
    Nice to meet you!
    Allison UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you have been really busy. I need to do more log cabins before I forget how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha, I do spend a lot of time in my sewing room! It's my favorite pastime. I love all the different looks one can get from different layouts w/the log cabin blocks. I normally reply to comments via email, however you are a no-reply blogger. But I wanted to let you know I appreciate you visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on such a lovely finish. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your triangle quilt and the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great caddy Great quilt....always fun to stop by and see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year to you Zenia! I love your cheerful baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pyramid quilt. Congratulations on the finish. How very kind of you to show us your beautiful sewing caddy as well as the maker! I know someone who would love one of these. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have so many beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you are so inclined, follow me. I take delight in visitors and welcome comments even more. I reply via email. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave your email address in your comment.