Saturday, July 12, 2014

Still Learning, a Quick Finish and Freebies!

There are a couple of things from this week that I'm excited about.

First, I learned how to tie a Quilters Knot! The gal who taught it to the kids at sew camp this week was surprised that I didn't already know how; and honestly, I was a little embarrassed. But there was one other mature quilter who also didn't know...so I didn't feel so bad after all. ;)  This is something I could have learned from YouTube, but I wasn't interested before that day because I'd been using a knotting technique I learned from +Quilting In The Rain's tutorial.  Before this tutorial, my knots were also "ghetto". I'm thankful to have added another technique to my quilters resume.

And the other thing I'm excited about is also something I discovered at sew camp: Chaco Liners by Clover! These chalk pens and liners work wonderfully for marking quilts w/straight or curvy lines, half square triangles and any other fabric markings. There is no mess and the chalk just washes or brushes away.  They come in several colors and are refillable! I bought yellow and white.



Sew Camp
This is the 3rd year my quilt chapter, Quilters Anonymous,  has held kids sew camp. It's a week long day camp, Mon - Fri. There are 2 sessions, 9a - noon and 1p - 3p.  Last year I volunteered for 1 afternoon. This year, I did 2 full days. Next year, I'm planning on doing the entire week. I really enjoyed it. The kids had the option of making 4 smaller projects or 1 lap quilt.  I brought my youngest son (19) to camp one day and he made a thread catcher/scrap bag and a zippered mesh bag. He was pleased w/his accomplishments and now has a greater appreciation for my craft.



The quilt I just finished was the lap quilt project we taught at camp. It went together so quickly and I whipped it out in no time. I did my first mitered corner on this quilt.





I am slowly but surely getting all the pieces cut out to make the Summer Star Mini Quilt for my sis' work office.   Next on my quilting/sewing agenda is to get the College Bound quilt quilted for my niece.  I've already got the backing pieced. My goal is to have it basted this weekend.



In other news, I bought a 3 mos, Bikram "HOT" Yoga deal on Living Social.  I started it this week. The class time that works best for me and the one I prefer is at 530a, Mon, Weds, Fri.  If you aren't familiar w/Bikram Yoga, it's a 90 min yoga class that is done in a room that is 104 degrees Fahrenheit! I can't believe I paid for such torture. One week down, 11 more to go! Pray for me!!

And for all my Nookers out there in case you don't already know, Barnes and Noble has Free Fridays  on The Nook Blog. They offer a free book, a free app AND a free video every week! A great way to grow your library w/o spending a penny!

A Thread for Life
Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. -Phil 3:12-14



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! If you are so inclined, follow me. I take delight in visitors and welcome comments even more. I reply via email. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave your email address in your comment.