Monday, September 2, 2013

Scrap Quilts and Inspiration

I am a member of the Quilters Anonymous Chapter of the Arizona Quilters Guild. It was here that I first heard about Fave Quilts. They feature a ton of free quilt tutorials! This is where I found the inspiration for this beautiful scrap buster, Fun with Bricks.   It's a wip (work in progress). I've completed only the top.  I haven't yet decided if I'm going to add a border.




It is also here that I discovered Quilting in the Rain.  Quilting In The Rain, or QITR as I like to refer to it, is one of my favorite blogs of all time. Jera has so many A+ quilting tutorials. Thanks Jera!

I adore scrap quilts! When I have fabric left over from a quilt project, if it's a 1/4 yd or less, I usually cut it into strips so as to be prepared for the next scrap quilt on my list. I have a long list of "quilts to make". It easily numbers 1,000+!  Here are pics of  a few more scrap quilts I've made.

Liberated Log Cabin




Foundation Piecing. Quilting done on long arm.



Foundation Piecing mixed w/a  couple of cut up spinning hexagon squares gone wrong.
Inspired by Tie the Knot Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting Nov/Dec 2012

Not so long ago I went through a big bag of strips and scraps and separated the strips according to width. I now have 4 drawers of strips;  1", 1.5", 2" and 2.5".



As if this weren't crazy enough, after seeing all the beautiful and inspiring quilt tutorials on QITR, I started making homemade layer cakes AND charm packs! Well I haven't actually put the layer cakes or charm packs together, but I have been cutting 5" and 10" squares. My goal is to cut a few squares out of all my fabric, however, I just realized today this will be be a never ending feat, as I continue to accumulate fabric. But it's okay, this is the life I've chosen and I shall happily live it!



Two of the first layer cake quilts I make will be the Cuttin' Corners Quilt and the Four-Step Flagstone Quilt. I plan to get started on one of these two w/in the next month!

1 comment:

  1. I will need some education on this post...layer cakes and charm packs!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you are so inclined, follow me. I take delight in visitors and welcome comments even more. I reply via email. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave your email address in your comment.