Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Let Me See Your Jelly Roll

At Quilting in May, I suggested we come prepared to do a Jelly Roll Race Quilt for our June meeting. Though I'd sewn my 1" strings together in jelly roll race fashion (you can see that flimsy in this post), I'd never done an actual JRRQ, and neither had the other gals.  We agreed we'd have our 40 WOF (width of fabric) strips cut and sewn end to end and ready to race on June 20th. If you've never seen the JRRQ process, check out this video from Jenny at Missouri Quilt Co. 

When I started cutting out my strips, I decided I wanted to make one right then and there...so I did. 
I was so amazed at just how quickly it came together that I made another one.
By the time June 20th came around, I'd already finished 2 JRRQs.  We didn't actually race that day, but I did finish a 3rd flimsy. This is not a good pic but you can see my sis' quilt real good.
 A better pic of mine and Mel's.
 Here's my 3rd, quilted and ready for binding. Not a very good picture either.
And because I just couldn't help myself, just yesterday I made 2 more!  

This is definitely going to be my "go-to" pattern when I need a quick finish...but for now, I'm all jellied out!

What is your "go to" quilt pattern, when you need a fast finish?

A Thread for Life
Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make every effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus. - Philippians 3:12

Linking up at:

14 comments:

  1. You are insane!! I am always amazed by the skill and beauty of your quilts and I remember when you first started!! I am going to send some more material and see if you can make me something BEAUTIFUL TOO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think this has turned into an additction, best you have a break for a while :) Beautiful quilts though, and I love that Missouri Star Quilt tutorial, very funny! My go-to pattern would probably be the nine-patch.. although I've just made a Crosses quilt with charm squares and that came together very quickly indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Zenia, that's so funny how much the jelly roll race grabbed hold of you! They all turned out beautifully too! It is a really fun technique, but wow it's amazing how many you turned out! Was that SIX all total?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to make one of these for years. I think it's hilarious that you were going to make them in a group, couldn't wait, then made so many! That's the mark of a fun quilt to sew.
    LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you really got addicted to that one, it must have been really good! I usually go for a square in a square pattern for a quick quilt, or a disappearing 9patch, but then I usually start from FQs rather than jelly rolls...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid if I make one...I'll be hooked! All of those quilts are so different and equally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is fun to see the quilts together. I keep looking at the different patterns allthough the process is the same. I love all these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow..you have been busy. I like this pattern as well. Good luck with quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've yet to make one of these! Yours are great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff Zenia - I may have to try this! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilts. Jelly Roll Race quilts look great and make great easy gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Each one is so different and all are very pretty. I have made a handful and after seeing yours, I might need to make another one soon. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love jelly roll race quilts as well. And other race quilts with chunkier strips. It is such a fun method to sew using up scraps or yardage. Your quilts are great! I have made four with 2.5 inch strips and six with 4.5 inch strips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you are so inclined, follow me. I take delight in visitors and welcome comments even more. I reply via email. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave your email address in your comment.