Tuesday, August 11, 2015

So I Made A Purse...

I was admiring a fellow quilter's purse at Kids Camp a few weeks ago.  Of course she'd made it herself. (Am I the only quilter who doesn't carry a self-made purse?) Anyway, I became obsessed...like I often do, and kept touching it and saying how awesome it was...even after she'd offered to send me the pattern! I'm a bit much some times.  

Anyway, this is her awesome purse! It's a pattern she or a friend had previously purchased which she made modifications to.
I decided the first one I made would be for my sis. I went to my stash and chose this gorgeous Australian print and coordinating color for the lining. 
And this is what happened!

I used an ultra firm fusible stabilizer on the purse body and décor-bond (firm) on the lining.  I didn't much like my experience w/the ultra firm stabilizer though...but I got 'er done!

There's a deep pocket on one side and a more shallow one on the other.  These,  like the inside pockets can be customized to your needs (the possibilities are endless) but I'm quite fond of them just the way they are.


And then, there's the inside!  This purse doesn't look all that big from the outside...so I was pleasantly surprised w/how roomy it really is inside! I threw a few of my things inside for the pic, but could've added a lot more!

The strap is what pulls the wooden handles together to close the purse. It can be doubled to wear as a shoulder purse or used as a long single strap and worn cross body (if made long enough). I made this one 56" long so it definitely can be worn cross body.  Therefore, I'm calling it the 2-Way Purse!

Here is my sis modeling it both ways.

And then...I made another one! This one is mine!  I love wood and liked the idea of seeing more of the wooden handles, so I changed the loops that holds them. I'm calling this one a 3-Way purse because it can also be used as a large clutch!  I didn't want to fuss w/the ultra firm stabilizer so I used décor-bond (firm) for both lining and purse body.  I also used the same fabric for the lining but did something different on the pockets. And speaking of pockets, I inadvertently lined both the pocket fronts and backings w/décor-bond. but didn't realize it until it was too late...so my pockets are a little stiff. =)

 Here it is before I got the wooden handles
Here's a pic of the inside pockets.
And here I am modeling the 3-Ways to carry it!
Thanks for stopping by. Until next time,  Happy Quilting/Sewing and God Bless!

A Thread for Life
We are not rich by what we posses, but by which we can do without. - Immanuel Kant

Linking up at:

14 comments:

  1. I love the fabrcs of your sisters bag! She will be very happy with such a handy, beautiful bag. Great job, congrats with this finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what lovely bags! Lucky you and lucky sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl you are gonna get addicted to making bags. I haven't even started a quilt since March and have been making bags non stop! I really need to calm down lol! I miss my quilts. Bags are just fairly fast. Looks great and I love the wooden handles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job! Very artistic. I think when you use a hand made bag it tells the world something about you! LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice - both yours and your sister's. I like how you modified the handles to make it more versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love you and thank you for the purse. I love it. Sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - both purses are so great Zenia! You and your sis are beautiful models as well, LOL.
    Your handle modification was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I would like to learn how to make more bags.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need to make a purse! Something I could accomplish and get me re-energized for quilting/sewing!! Awesome job as usual girlie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job, Zenia! I love it! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute purse. I don't carry a quilted bag either, but I have made plenty for my daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did I miss a pattern and where to get the handles, I love the handles and think the purse is something I would make. my w e e d o x at c en t u r ytel dot net.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! If you are so inclined, follow me. I take delight in visitors and welcome comments even more. I reply via email. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave your email address in your comment.